Monday, September 14, 2009

Dead End Jobs...


Of the people that know me, and know where I work, they know how much I HATE my job. Nothing ruins a day worst then know, having, and being at work. Retail has to be the work of the devil (or better, brings the devil out of people!) Not only do I feel like I'm going now where, I don't feel any satisfactions from my job. There is nothing worst then watching some of your coworkers who make you ask this question several times a day, "I know there aren't people this stupid?", only to have them confirm you skepticism, out sell you from time to time. Also the people who should get fired (have several complaints from not just associates, but customers also, stealing high priced items, and just have been nothing but drama from day one) most of the time never get fired, and the people who shouldn't make one mistake (like drinking a $1.50 bottle of water, without paying for it) get fired on the spot! The job just plain sucks and I always wonder why I stay like a dumb ass.

I'm sure there are many people out there that feel the same way I do and wonder why they stay even though they so badly want to leave. So I thought about it, I looked at it from different perspectives, and I used this wonderful invention called Google and I came up with the answer to my question, "Why do people stay in dead end jobs?"

Ignorance
I first looked at it in the perspective of the idiots I work with, and their mentality. I came to find out may of them don't feel that they are working a dead end job. Most of their life has been spent as a failure, many of them struggled through school only barely passing, been picked on by other people for being so simple. My job praises simpleness. The more simple you are the more they praise you, and it makes sense, why hire someone who is going to ask questions as to why they do this, when it's so much easier to do that. when Simple Jon will just do what ever you tell him no questions asked. Just feeding them false hope is better than what they had before; that hopeless failure mentality. The hollow promises fed to them is more than enough to keep them in line.

Also another from of ignorance is, believing there are no better jobs out there and thinking that everyone is in a dead end job. I don't know of anyone who thinks this way, but if you do, then I have news for you, there are plenty of better jobs out there!

Contentedness
I guess this also refers to the Simple Jons I work with as many of them are completely content with working where they work. They like that they have a routine. It makes them feel safe. I'm not going to lie, it is nice getting a paycheck every week (it just the amount on the paycheck sucks!) But many of these people fear venturing off into the unknown. Who knows what's out there, might as well play it safe.

Apathy
Don't confuse apathy with contentedness. Apathetic workers are worker who stay in a dead end job because they don't care; there is no motivation to do anything better. These people don't feel any certain way towards there job, they are void of all emotion. A good example of these type of workers, are those people you feel are work zombies.

Fear
Even though Ignorance, Contentedness, and Apathy my play part in why people work in dead end jobs, the main reason is Fear. Fear can be manifested in all shapes and forms. You have fear of the unknown, the fear of being under qualified for the job you want, the fear of taking a risk, the fear of failure, the fear of being worst off then what you were originally, and that's only to name a few.

How does one escape a life of quiet despair? How does one learn to take risk, when we've been trained to enjoy the company of comfort and security? Knowledge, knowledge is key. The more you know the further you can direct your life and career in the way you wish it to go and the better suited you can be to obtaining your goal.

The is no need to feel hopeless, when everything you need can be so easily obtainable. Don't be afraid of walking towards the light at the end of the tunnel. Stop living in the dark and shine some light on your world. You'll be surprised how beautiful it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment